This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
This almond flour sugar cookie recipe makes the best healthy sugar cookies for decorating. They have a buttery soft center, they’re slightly crisp on the edges, and they have just the right amount of sweetness.
These soft almond flour sugar cookies happened by accident. That’s right! These special little grain-free Christmas cookies started out as a completely different cookie! Specifically, the recipe is almost identical to my almond shortbread cookies in my book, Coconuts and Kettlebells. Who knew they were just waiting to be the most perfect paleo sugar cookies!
Personally, I loved making Christmas cookies growing up. It was actually more the decorating with icing and sprinkles part… but who doesn’t love that? My sister and I used to make them together every Christmas eve. And now that I’m a mom, I wanted to pass on that tradition to my kids.
So, I went on the hunt for a paleo almond flour sugar cookie recipe that used simple, whole ingredients. I experimented with a few different recipe, and let me just say, it was nothing short of a disaster. Most of the recipes I tried wouldn’t hold their shape, or they just tasted gritty and horrible.
Then it hit me that the perfect soft almond flour Christmas cookie might actually exist in my own cookbook. By making just a few small adjustments, this recipe makes the best paleo and grain-free almond flour sugar cookies. They have a buttery soft center, they’re slightly crisp on the edges, and they have just the right amount of sweetness.
In short, THEY ARE SO GOOD.
And as an added bonus, these paleo almond flour sugar cookies are made from four simple, whole ingredients: almond flour, ghee, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract (plus, a dash of spices!) They are ingredients you likely have on hand right now—so get to it! They’re gluten-free, paleo, and if you struggle with a sensitivity to eggs, they’re also egg-free!
What I Love About This Almond Flour Sugar Cookie Recipe
- This recipe make soft and buttery sugar cookies.
- The ingredients in this recipe are simple and easy to find.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make a large batch of cookies.
- These almond flour sugar cookies are paleo, grain-free, egg-free, and perfect for decorating!
Tips and Tricks for Making Paleo Sugar Cookies
- Make sure to use blanched almond flour. Whisk or sift the almond flour to get rid of any clumps.
- For the dough to cut clean shapes, make sure it is thoroughly chilled. Rolling the dough to just under 1/2 inch thick is the sweet spot.
- Dust your surface and/or rolling pin with coconut flour or a tapioca flour. Do not use almond flour—it is actually pretty moist and won’t keep the dough from sticking.
- Let these paleo sugar cookies completely cool before decorating. I like to bake them the day before, put them in the fridge, and then decorate the next day.
- This recipe makes one sheet pan of paleo sugar cookies for decorating. Double the recipe if you’d like to make two baking sheets of paleo sugar cookies.
- For decorating, I personally love Simple Mills Vanilla Icing. We use ColorKitchen Natural Food Dye and Sprinkles, and this year we also got sprinkles by Supernatural. So fun!
How did this Christmas almond flour sugar cookie work for you? Let me know in the comments below!