Everyone in my family agrees—this is the best paleo double chocolate banana bread we’ve ever had. Scratch that. It’s the best double chocolate banana bread, period.
I will not disclose how many bananas were lost (aka mashed and baked) in the process of testing and tweaking this recipe, but let me tell you, it was so worth it. This double chocolate banana bread is moist, dense, loaded with chocolate chip, and has the perfect cakey texture.
My favorite part about this paleo double chocolate banana bread recipe, besides eating it, is that there’s very little prep work. You only need one bowl for all of the ingredients. It also freezes well! As a warning—this bread won’t last long. So go ahead and make two, and freeze one for later.
And can we talk about how versatile double chocolate banana bread is? It can be served as breakfast (it’s a Christmas morning tradition in our house), for dessert, or whenever the heck you’d like it. It’s great right out of the fridge, or heated up and sprinkled with more chocolate chips on top (my personal favorite, obvs).
Because the ingredients are simple and nourishing, this recipe is also completely grain-free, dairy-free, and paleo-friendly! BUT YOU GUYS, no one will have any clue! They’ll just be begging you for the recipe. I speak from experience.
What I Love About This Paleo Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- This recipe makes dense and moist double chocolate banana bread. No dryness or grittiness!
- The ingredients are simple, nourishing, and yummy.
- If you’re a chocolate lover, you’re going to love this recipe!
- This double chocolate banana bread recipe is paleo, grain-free, and dairy-free.
- This recipe requires very little prep work and can be whipped up in one bowl.
- Paleo double chocolate banana bread is the BEST use of overripe bananas!
Tips and Tricks for My Paleo Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Make sure your bananas are overripe! Color on the peel is a must.
- If using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to mash the bananas. Then switch to the whisk attachment to whip together the rest of the ingredients.
- If you forgot to lay the eggs out to bring them to room temperature, just place them in warm water to speed up the process.
- Cook time will vary slightly based on whether you use a glass or aluminum bread pan. Check for doneness right at 55 minutes. If you start to see a little color/browning on the edge, it’s likely done!
- This bread stores well in the freezer! Double the recipe and make two loaves so you can eat one now, and save the other for later!
Get ready for the BEST double chocolate banana bread you’ve ever had. It’s dense, moist, and loaded with chocolate chips. You better make two—this won’t last long!
- 4 medium overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 ½ cup mashed banana)
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips (¼ reserved for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper or grease the sides.
- Using a mixer, beat the mashed banana, eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar until evenly combined.
- Add the salt, almond flour, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Mix until evenly combined.
- Fold in ½ cup chocolate chips using a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool for at least 15 minutes before lifting it out of the pan.
If using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment for mashing the banana, then switch to the whisk attachment to combine all of the ingredients together.
Did you try this paleo double chocolate chip banana bread recipe? Share your thoughts below—I’d love to hear from you!