This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
Get ready for the best paleo chocolate banana bread you’ve ever had. It’s dense, moist, and loaded with chocolate chips. And the entire recipe whips up in one bowl! Make two—this one won’t last long!
I’m willing to go out on a limb and say that this is the best paleo chocolate banana bread recipe.
Scratch that. This is best chocolate banana bread recipe, period.
I will not disclose how many bananas were lost (aka mashed and baked) in the process of testing and tweaking this recipe, but let me tell you, it was so worth it. This paleo chocolate banana bread is moist, dense, loaded with chocolate chip, and has the perfect cakey texture. It’s not dry, crumbly, or too wet, which can happen when you’re baking with grain-free flours. And because the entire recipes whips up in one bowl, it’s basically foolproof!
The best part about this paleo chocolate banana bread recipe is that there’s very little prep work. It also freezes well! I always make a double and throw the second one in the freezer for later.
And can we talk about how versatile this paleo chocolate banana bread is? It can be served as breakfast (it’s a Christmas morning tradition in our house), for dessert, or whenever the heck you’d like it. It’s great right out of the fridge, or heated up and sprinkled with more chocolate chips on top (my personal favorite, obvs).
Because the ingredients are simple and nourishing, this recipe is also completely grain-free, dairy-free, and paleo! BUT YOU GUYS, no one will have any clue! They’ll just be begging you for the recipe. I speak from experience.
The Secret to the Best Chocolate Banana Bread
There are two quick and easy tricks to getting moist and delicious banana bread. The first is to use overripe bananas. We’re talking plenty of black and dark spots. Seriously, there’s no such thing as too ripe bananas when you’re making banana bread.
As a banana ripens, the starch in the fruit turns to sugar. Bananas become sweeter the riper they are, which ultimately makes the banana bread sweet, delicious, and moist.
The second trick is to make sure all of your ingredients are room temperature. This helps the ingredients incorporate better with the banana, and the banana bread will rise better. If you forget to lay out your eggs prior to baking, just place them in a warm water bath for a couple of minutes.
How to Make Paleo Chocolate Banana Bread
Making paleo chocolate banana bread couldn’t be easier! The recipe mixes up in one bowl, and bakes up in one pan!
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper or grease the sides.
Using a mixer, beat the mashed banana, eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar until evenly combined. The beater or flat beater attachment works best for this. Add the salt, almond flour, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Fold everything together until it’s evenly combined. Then, fold in the chocolate chips using a spatula.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
Bake the bread in the center of the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Then, just let the paleo chocolate banana bread cool for at least 15 minutes before lifting it out of the pan.
Can I Make Ingredient Substitutions?
Yes! However, this is where I make that special note that you won’t get the same consistent results if you vary from the original recipe. But, if you find yourself short, here are a few swaps you can make:
- Almond flour: You can use another nut flour, like cashew flour.
- Tapioca flour: You can use arrowroot flour. Note: this will change the texture slightly as arrowroot is a little more gummy.
- Maple syrup: You can swap this for raw honey. Honey is generally sweeter, so you’ll taste that difference in the muffins.
- Coconut oil: Feel free to use another mild cooking oil, like avocado oil.
- Chocolate chips: You can use most types of chocolate chips. I like to use Hu chocolate gems occationally, too!
Storage and Freezer Instructions
Once the bread has cooled, store it in an airtight container or sealable storage bag at room temperature for up to four days.
This paleo chocolate banana bread also freezes well, and will keep in the freezer for up to three months. You can freeze this bread sliced or whole. To freeze, wrap the loaf or individual slices in parchment paper, then place the bread in a gallon-sized sealable freezer-safe storage bag. When you’re ready eat it, thaw it at room temperature overnight or heat a slice in the microwave for a few seconds.
What I Love About This Paleo Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- This recipe makes dense and moist paleo chocolate banana bread. No dry or gritty texture!
- The ingredients are simple, nourishing, and yummy.
- If you’re a fan of cake for breakfast, you’re going to love this recipe!
- This chocolate banana bread is paleo, grain-free, and dairy-free.
- The entire recipe mixes up in one bowl.
- Paleo double chocolate banana bread is the BEST use of overripe bananas!
Baking Tips and Tricks
- Make sure your bananas are overripe. Color on the peel is a must.
- If using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to mash the bananas and fold in the rest of the ingredients.
- If you forgot to lay the eggs out to bring them to room temperature, just place them in warm water to speed up the process.
- Cook time will vary slightly based on whether you use a glass or aluminum bread pan. Check for doneness right at 55 minutes. If you start to see a little color/browning on the edge, it’s likely done!
- This paleo chocolate banana bread stores well in the freezer! Double the recipe and make two loaves so you can eat one now, and save the other for later!
Stocking the Pantry
I personally use Thrive Market for most of my pantry needs because it saves me some cash, especially when it comes to commonly used items like blanched almond flour, ghee, and coconut oil. For a complete list of my recommend pantry items and what I use in my home, check out my Baking and Cooking Resources Page.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- The Best Paleo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Fudgy Paleo Brownies (Crackly Top, Gluten-Free)
- Baked Chocolate Donuts
- Paleo Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
Did you try this paleo chocolate chip banana bread recipe? Share your thoughts below—I’d love to hear from you!