Skip the store-bought crust and make your own delicious gluten free graham cracker crust with healthier ingredients! This crust is perfectly sweet and buttery, and made from scratch using almond flour and coconut flour. It pairs perfectly with cheesecake or pies like my key lime pie!
Pie is known as the most traditional American dessert, and for good reason. The combination of tender crust and sweet filling is truly a match made in heaven. For me, the crust is what makes the pie. And when it comes to crusts, there is nothing better than a buttery graham cracker crust.
I grew up with a grandmother who was a dessert rockstar, and her cream pies and key lime pie were always a fan favorite. While she always used graham crackers from a box, this gluten free graham cracker crust is made from scratch using healthier ingredients. The good news is, it tastes just like a traditional pie crust!
Truth be told, nailing this recipe was a bit more challenging than I expected. I really wanted to stay true to the honey graham cracker flavor, while keeping the texture tender and crumbly.
After a lot of experimenting, I’m happy to say I’m totally in love with this homemade graham cracker crust! It doesn’t stick to the pan, fall apart underneath the pie, and the combination of almond flour, honey, and coconut sugar is SO delicious! Because the ingredients are simple and straightforward, this is a paleo graham cracker crust, too! It’s a pie for everyone at the table, which makes it perfect for holidays and family gatherings.
How to Make Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
I love how easy it is to make this recipe! You can make it in four easy steps:
- Prepare the pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate with coconut oil.
- Mix the ingredients. Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl and mix until combined.
- Transfer the mixture. Using your fingers, press the crust mixture evenly into the prepared pie plate. Start by working the crumbs up the sides, then press the remaining crumbs into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake. Bake for 15 minutes if you will not be baking it any further. If using a filling that requires baking, bake for 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Gluten Free Ingredients
There are just a few simple ingredients you’ll need to make this graham cracker crust. You likely have all of the ingredients already on hand, so let’s get to baking!
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Coconut sugar
- Sea salt
Why I Love Making Graham Cracker Crust From Scratch
While traditional graham cracker crust recipes use crushed graham crackers, butter, and sugar, I love making my own from scratch with healthier ingredients. It tastes just as good, and has a light and tender texture that pairs perfectly with creamy filling. Because this crust is made with almond flour and coconut flour, it’s slightly nutty and sweet. The combo of ghee, honey, and coconut sugar are what give the crust a traditional graham cracker flavor.
This crust is so easy to throw together—you likely already have everything in your pantry! It’s also more affordable since gluten free graham crackers are typically a little pricey. As an added bonus, this crust doesn’t stick to the pan or crumble. It’s everything you’d want from a gluten free graham cracker crust and more!
Can I Make Graham Cracker Crust with Gluten Free Graham Crackers?
Sure can! If you’d like to make a graham cracker crust with gluten free graham crackers, you’ll need:
- 1 ½ cups gluten free graham cracker crumbs (I like Pamela’s or Kinnikinnick)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee, melted
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Blend the graham crackers in a food processor or place the graham crackers in a sealed plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl and press the crust mixture into the pie plate as described below. Bake it at 350°F for 6-8 minutes if your filling requires baking. This also works great as a no-bake crust! Just chill it in the fridge instead of baking and freeze for 10-20 minutes before adding your filling.
Paleo Graham Cracker Crust
Because the ingredients are simple and healthy, this is a paleo graham cracker crust, too! The combination of almond flour and coconut flour is one of my favorites when it comes to paleo baking. And while butter isn’t paleo, ghee is an incredible paleo baking ingredient for people who are sensitive to dairy. Ghee is 100% butter fat with all the dairy solids removed, so it gives baked goods a nice buttery flavor without the digestive distress.
Can I Make Substitutions?
Don’t have everything on hand? Here are a few substitutions you can make:
- Coconut sugar: You can use any other granulated sugar, including brown sugar.
- Ghee: Because ghee is butter, you can swap this easily for unsalted butter. Need to be completely dairy free? Use coconut oil instead.
- Honey: While I really recommend honey for the flavor, you can use maple syrup instead.
Baking Tips + Tricks
- Lightly grease the pie plate with coconut oil so your slices come out clean. Use a paper towel and wipe the pie plate to ensure it’s light and even.
- Do not press the crust into the pie plate too hard. It should be packed, but not flattened or compacted.
- When pressing the crust mixture into the pie plate, start with the sides. Then, work your way to the center.
- Let your crust cool completely before adding filling.
Storage and Freezing Info
If making your crust ahead of time, keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before using it in your recipe. For long term storage, freeze the prepared crust in the pan for up to 3 months.
Stocking the Pantry
I personally use Thrive Market for most of my pantry needs because it saves me some cash—especially when it comes to commonly used items like blanched almond flour, ghee, and coconut flour. For a complete list of my recommend pantry items and what I use in my home, check out my Baking and Cooking Resources Page.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Healthy Lemon Bars (Gluten Free, Paleo)
- 4-Ingredient Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Fudgy Paleo Brownies (Crackly Top, Gluten-Free)
- Fluffy Paleo Cinnamon Rolls
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
Skip the store-bought crust and make your own delicious gluten free graham cracker crust with healthier ingredients! This crust is perfectly sweet and buttery, and made from scratch using almond flour and coconut flour. It pairs perfectly with cheesecake and pies like cheesecakes and my key lime pie!
- 1 ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon unprocessed sea salt
- 5 tablespoon ghee, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate with coconut oil.
- Mix: Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl and mix until combined.
- Press into the Pan: Using your fingers, press the crust mixture evenly into the prepared pie plate. Start by working the crumbs up the sides, then press the remaining crumbs into the bottom of the pan. Don’t packed it down too hard to ensure the crust releases from the pan.
- Bake: Bake for 15 minutes if you will not be baking it any further (using a filling that only needs chilling). Transfer the crust to a wire rack to cool completely. If your filling requires baking, bake for 5-7 minutes, then transfer the crust to a wire rack to cool before adding filling and returning the pie to the oven.
What did you think about this gluten free graham cracker crust? Let me know in the comments below!
Leave a Comment!