This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
This egg roll in a bowl recipe is incredible delicious, easy to make, and cooks up in one pan in only 15 minutes! It has all of the flavors of an egg roll without the wrapper, and can be made with either ground turkey or pork. Because it’s so simple, this is a keto and whole30 egg roll in a bowl recipe!
There’s nothing better than an easy, flavorful dish that’s packed with protein and veggies. Except for one that can also be made in one pan in 15 minutes. Did I mention it’s kid-friendly? And packed with veggies and protein? Seriously, if there was a “best of” award, this egg roll in a bowl recipe would win by a landslide! It’s flavorful, delicious, and one of the most popular healthy dinner recipes on my blog because it’s so easy to make!
I totally get why people call egg roll in a bowl crack slaw. It’s basically all the savory goodness of an egg roll with the volume turned up just a bit since there’s no wrapper to shadow the flavors.
I love asian-inspired dishes, but typically don’t cook them on a regular basis because there are lot of steps. With this egg roll in a bowl whole30 recipe, you can get cooking right away because there is very little prep work. It’s also easy to cook in bulk, and the leftovers taste amazing. Perfect for meal prep!
And because the wrapper is missing, this is a whole30, keto, and paleo egg roll in a bowl recipe. It fits a variety of needs, and no one will know they’re eating a healthy meal! If you’re following the lower carb meal plan from my book, Coconuts and Kettlebells, put this recipe into rotation ASAP. Let’s get to cooking!
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl in 15 Minutes!
During the week, I only have time to make meals in 30 minutes or less. With this egg roll in a bowl recipe, you’ll have dinner done in 15! Here’s how to make it:
- Heat the pan. Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the meat. Add the ground pork or turkey, and cook until lightly browned. Add the fresh ginger and garlic, and stir everything together.
- Sauté the vegetables. Add the coleslaw mix and scallions and stir. Let the vegetables cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the slaw reduces. Add the diced spinach and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the spices. Add the sesame oil, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and Chinese five spice and stir everything together. Reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to set the flavor. While the flavors set, combine the ingredients for the spicy mayo.
- Top with spicy mayo. Serve over cauliflower rice, jasmine rice, or cubed sweet potato. Top with sesame seed and spicy mayo. Enjoy!
The Secret Sauce
The secret to the irresistible deliciousness of this whole30 egg roll in a bowl is the mix of flavors. The coconut aminos is a great and healthy substitution for soy sauce, and adds a bit of saltiness and sweetness. The fish sauce adds more seasoning and saltiness, and the sesame oil adds a hearty and savory flavor.
The real kick comes from the garlic, ginger, and Chinese five spice. While Chinese five spice may not be something you regularly stock in your pantry, I highly recommend grabbing it on your next grocery store trip.
Can I Make This Egg Roll in a Bowl with Ground Turkey?
Yes! While this recipe is traditionally made with ground pork, I personally like to make egg roll in a bowl with ground turkey. It has a lighter flavor and texture, and pairs well with the spices. Ground turkey won’t dry out in this dish since there are plenty of vegetables and it’s seasoned with coconut aminos.
Can I Make Substitutions?
Sure can! However, this is where I make that special note that you won’t get the same consistent results if you vary from the original recipe. But, if you find yourself short, here’s a few swaps you can make:
- Ground pork: Use ground turkey or ground chicken. I’ve even used ground beef with success!
- Coleslaw mix: Use any slaw, including broccoli slaw.
- Scallions: Swap this for 1/2 cup red onion or sweet white onion. If you do this, cook the onion first for 3-4 minutes, then add the ground pork to the pan and follow the directions as described.
- Coconut aminos: Coconut aminos is a delicious alternative to soy sauce that is gluten free and soy free. It’s made from the sap of the coconut palm. You can swap this for soy sauce, however, because it has less sodium than soy sauce, reduce the sea salt in the recipe to just a pinch.
What To Serve With Egg Roll in a Bowl
I get this question a lot. First, let me assure you—you will get a ton of food with this dish! You don’t necessarily have to serve it over anything, but there are some fun ways to customize this dish.
For a keto, whole30, and paleo egg roll in a bowl meal, serve it over roasted vegetables, like my rainbow roasted vegetables or roasted asparagus. You can also serve it over cauliflower rice.
You can also serve egg roll in a bowl over jasmine rice or gluten-free rice noodles. We’ve even served it over roasted cubed sweet potato! This was an awesome combo! These are great options if you want to make this a family-friendly meal. My kids love eating egg roll in a bowl with rice or sweet potato.
Keeping this Egg Roll in a Bowl Whole30 Friendly
This is a keto and whole30 egg roll in a bowl recipe that’s packed with flavor and super filling. When making the spicy mayo, there are a few things to keep in mind when considering ingredients. First, make sure to use an avocado oil mayonnaise, like Primal Kitchen Mayo. Second, for the sriracha sauce, make sure to use one without added sugars, like Yellowbird Sriracha Sauce. The spicy mayo is totally optional, so just leave it off if you’re not up for it or can’t find whole30 ingredients. The recipe without the spicy mayo is completely whole30.
Egg Roll in a Bowl Meal Prep
If you’re looking for the best meal prep recipes, this one is at the top of my list! It cooks up quickly, stores well in the freezer, and is easy to double! I personally used this recipe when stashing meals in the freezer for postpartum meal prep. It’s packed with flavor, protein, and veggies, and pairs great with rice and other vegetables.
When making egg roll in a bowl for meal prep, you can cook up a double batch in a 12-inch skillet. I recommend storing meals in 100% Silicone Stasher Reusable Bags in the fridge and freezer to save space and keep your meals tasting fresh.
Can I Freeze Egg Roll in a Bowl?
Yes! You can freeze this egg roll in a bowl recipe. Because of this, this recipe is one of my favorite meal prep dishes. To freeze, simply transfer the egg roll in a bowl to freezer-safe containers or these silicone Stasher bags. I typically double the recipe when I make this during the week so I have an entire extra meal leftover to store in the freezer. This will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To thaw, transfer to the fridge and let it thaw overnight. In a pinch, you can throw the Stasher bags in hot water and it will thaw in under an hour. To reheat, just pop it in the microwave!
Cooking Tips + Tricks
- Use ground pork, turkey, or chicken for the meat. Whatever you got will do great in this recipe!
- When you’re browning the meat, cut up the scallions. It’s the only prep work you have to do and can be done in a flash.
- This whole30 egg roll in a bowl recipe serves two with leftovers. Double if you’re feeding four adults, or want to stash some in the freezer for meal prep.
- Don’t worry too much about the exact amount of coleslaw or shredded cabbage mix. A bag is typically anywhere from 12 to 16 oz, which will work great in this recipe!
- To make this egg roll in a bowl recipe even easier, swap out the fresh ginger and garlic for dried spices. Use 1/4 tsp ground ginger, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Leave off the spicy mayo if you’re short on ingredients—it’s got plenty of flavor without it!
Why I Love This Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
- This is a super flavorful dish that’s packed with protein and veggies.
- The ingredients are simple and easy to find.
- It’s a one pan meal that cooks up in 15 minutes! The perfect weeknight dish.
- There is little to no prep work! This whole30 egg roll in a bowl is great for meal prep.
- This is a paleo, keto and whole30 egg roll in a bowl recipe that’s allergy friendly.
Recommended Equipment + Pantry Items
This dish is best made in a large 12-inch sauté pan. I personally use this Cuisinart Stainless Steel 12-inch pan. I actually double the recipe too for meal prep and it all fits! For more info about what I personally have tried and tested in the kitchen, plus recommendations when it comes to pantry items, check out my baking and cooking resources page.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Healthy Orange Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Sheet Pan Chicken, Broccoli, and Sweet Potatoes with Garlic Herb Aioli
- Chicken Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole
What did you think about this egg roll in a bowl recipe? Come back and let me know in the comments below!