This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
This egg roll in a bowl is incredible delicious, easy to make, and cooks up in one pan in only 15 minutes! It has all of the flavors of an egg roll (without the wrapper), and can be made with either ground turkey or pork.
There’s nothing better than an easy, flavorful dish that’s packed with protein and veggies. Except for one that can also be made in one pan in only 15 minutes. Did I mention it’s kid-friendly? And packed with veggies and protein? Seriously, if there was a “best of” award, this egg roll in a bowl recipe would win by a landslide.
I totally get why people call egg roll in a bowl “crack slaw.” It’s basically all the savory goodness of an egg roll with the volume turned up just a bit since there’s no wrapper to shadow the flavors.
I love asian-inspired dishes, but typically don’t cook them on a regular basis because there are lot of steps. With this egg roll in a bowl recipe, you can get cooking right away because there is very little prep work. It’s also easy to cook in bulk, and the leftovers taste amazing. Perfect for meal prep, and it’s freezer-friendly!
If you’re looking to get some meals in the freezer to prep for stressful times ahead (like a new baby!), this is an amazing postpartum meal to stash away. I recommend storing meals in 100% Silicone Stasher Reusable Bags to save space and keep them tasting fresh.
And because the wrapper is missing, it’s low-carb, paleo, grain-free, and Whole30 compliant. It can fit a variety of needs, and no one will know the difference! If you’re following the lower carb meal plan from my book, Coconuts and Kettlebells, put this recipe into rotation ASAP.
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl in Just 15 Minutes!
The best part about this egg roll in a bowl recipe is that is only takes 15 minutes to make! To start, melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground pork or turkey, and cook until lightly browned.
Add the fresh ginger and garlic, and stir everything together. Note: You can use dried garlic and ginger in place of fresh as a shortcut!
Add the coleslaw mix and scallions and stir. Let the vegetables cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the slaw reduces and begins to wilt. Don’t worry—it looks like a lot in the pan at first! It will all come together shortly.
Add the diced spinach and cook for 1 minute.
Now, add flavors! Add the sesame oil, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and Chinese five spice and stir everything together, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan as you go.
Reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to set the flavor. Serve over cauliflower rice, jasmine rice, or cubed sweet potato.
The Secrets in the Sauce
The secret to the irresistible deliciousness of this egg roll in a bowl recipe is the mix of flavors. The coconut aminos is a great and healthy substitution for soy sauce, and adds a bit of saltiness and sweetness. The fish sauce adds more seasoning and saltiness, and the sesame oil adds a hearty and savory flavor.
The real kick comes from the garlic, ginger, and Chinese Five Spice. While Chinese Five Spice may not be something you regularly stock in your pantry, I highly recommend grabbing it on your next grocery store trip. You’ll be making this dish many more times, so you’ll get good use out of it!
Why I Love This Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
- This is a super flavorful dish that’s packed with protein and veggies.
- Following a low-carb diet? This dish is one the whole family will love!
- There is little to no prep work. Got a lot of people coming over with different dietary needs? Make THIS!
- This dish is allergy-friendly, low-carb, Whole30, and paleo.
- This healthy egg roll in a bowl recipe can be made in one pan in only 15 minutes. So easy!
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes! This egg roll in a bowl is one of my top favorite meal prep recipes for this reason! To freeze, simply transfer the egg roll in a bowl to freezer-safe containers or these silicone Stasher bags. I typically double the recipe when I make this during the week so I have an entire extra meal leftover to store in the freezer. This will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To thaw, transfer to the fridge and let it thaw overnight. In a pinch, you can throw the Stasher bags in hot water and it will thaw in under an hour. To reheat, just pop it in the microwave!
How Do I Serve Egg Roll in a Bowl?
I get this question a lot. First, let me assure you—you will get a ton of food with this dish! You don’t necessarily have to serve it over anything, but there are some fun ways to customize this dish.
You can serve egg roll in a bowl over a vegetable like cauliflower rice, asparagus, or even sautéed zucchini. This is a great option if you’re following a low carb or keto diet, or want to make this Whole30 compliant.
You can also serve this over jasmine rice or gluten-free rice noodles. We’ve even served it over roasted cubed sweet potato! This was an awesome combo! These are great options if you want to make this a family-friendly meal. My kids love eating egg roll in a bowl with rice or sweet potato.
Tips and Tricks
- Use ground pork, turkey, or chicken for the meat. Whatever you got will do great in this recipe!
- When you’re browning the meat, cut up the scallions. It’s the only prep work you have to do and can be done in a flash.
- This whole30 egg roll in a bowl recipe serves two with leftovers. Double if you’re feeding four adults, or want to stash some in the freezer for meal prep.
- Don’t worry too much about the exact amount of coleslaw or shredded cabbage mix. A bag is typically anywhere from 12 to 16 oz, which will work great in this egg roll in a bowl recipe!
- You can use broccoli slaw instead of coleslaw or shredded cabbage mix.
- To make this egg roll in a bowl recipe even easier, swap out the fresh ginger and garlic for dried spices. Use about 1/4 tsp ground ginger, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
Recommended Equipment + Pantry Items
This dish is best made in a large 12-inch sauté pan. I personally use this Cuisinart Stainless Steel 12-inch pan. I actually double the recipe too for meal prep and it all fits! For more info about what I personally have tried and tested in the kitchen, plus recommendations when it comes to pantry items, check out my baking and cooking resources page.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Sheet Pan Chicken, Broccoli, and Sweet Potatoes with Garlic Herb Aioli
- Chicken Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole
What did you think about this egg roll in a bowl recipe? Come back and let me know in the comments below!