This paleo white chicken chili is the one of the easiest slow cooker recipes to make! Everything cooks right in the crockpot, and the end result is a creamy, comforting chili that’s hearty and bursting with flavor. Healthy and dairy-free!
This creamy paleo white chicken chili has quickly become my most favorite slow cooker recipe to make. It’s one of those dishes that everyone loves because it’s savory, super filling, and has the perfect amount of flavor.
And the best part? It’s almost effortless to make because everything cooks in the crockpot. No prepping or cooking the chicken ahead of time, you literally just throw everything into the slow cooker and let it cook!
Crockpot paleo white chicken chili is perhaps the most fun chili to eat because of ALL THOSE TOPPINGS! It’s a great dinner for busy weeknights, but it’s also great for when you have guests over because everyone gets to customize their chili with all of their favorite toppings: Siete tortilla chips, jalapeño slices, chopped tomato, cilantro, sliced avocado, or you can even go wild with a little shredded cheese!
This crockpot white chicken chili recipe is packed with nourishing ingredients, including chicken, diced white potatoes, bell pepper, onion, and of course, plenty of bone broth. And for the creaminess, I included a combination of coconut milk and arrowroot starch mixed in at the end. The end result is a creamy, hearty texture, and the squeeze of lime balances the flavors and brings it all together.
Because the ingredients are simple and nutrient-dense, this recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free, and it’s paleo friendly!
Feel free to customize the heat to your personal taste. Double the diced green chilis (use two 4 ounce cans instead of one) to give your chili a little more of a kick, and use the entire jalapeño for more heat. You can also add more chili powder as well—up it to 1 1/2 teaspoons for more spice.
Making the Paleo White Chicken Chili
Making this crockpot paleo white chicken chili is incredibly easy! Just place the chicken, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, diced green chilis, jalapeño, bone broth, minced garlic, and all of the spices into the crockpot. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Once the white chicken chili has finished cooking, remove the chicken with tongs and shred it with two forks. You can also shred the chicken in a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer with the beater attachment. Just throw it in a mixing bowl, and turn the mixer on high for about 5-10 seconds. Yes, it’s that easy! Make sure to stop before the chicken gets overly shredded if you prefer slightly larger shreds.
Once the chicken is shredded, add it back to the crockpot. In the same bowl that you shredded the chicken, whisk together the coconut milk, arrowroot starch, and lime juice, and add it to the crockpot.
Switch the crockpot to high and cook for 20-30 minutes to let the chili thicken up, and you’re done!
Go Crazy With Toppings!
The best part about creamy white chicken chili is OF COURSE the toppings! Load them up, because they add lots of flavor and fun. My favorite toppings are:
- Siete Grain Free Tortilla Chips
- Sliced avocado
- Thinly sliced jalapeño (great for adding a little more heat)
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onion (one of my favorites because it adds crunchy texture)
- Chopped tomato
- A dollop of sour cream or shredded cheese (we shred our own grass-fed cheese for this)
Why I Love This Healthy Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- I love that this paleo white chicken chili has only a few steps, and cooking is hands off!
- This recipe contains simple, nourishing ingredients. It’s packed with veggies and protein!
- While this dish is unique and flavorful, the prep work is kept to a minimum. You add the chicken in whole, and shred it after it’s cooked.
- This dish is the perfect cozy weeknight dinner. It gives you a ton of food, and the entire family will love it!
- The recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, Whole30, and paleo.
Cooking Tips + Tricks
- Both chicken breast and thighs work in this recipe. I prefer chicken thighs as the texture is a little more moist.
- Don’t worry if the amount of chicken you have exceeds 1.5 pounds. This dish is great with anything between 1.5 – 2 pounds of chicken.
- If you like a good kick, add the entire jalapeño in the crockpot white chicken chili. You can also use double the green chilis.
- Swap out the fresh garlic for 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- For an easy shortcut, throw the cooked chicken breast/thighs into a stand mixer and mix it on high with the beater attachment. The chicken with shred in about 10 seconds. Don’t over-mix it, or it will shred into really small pieces. You can use the same mixing bowl to whisk the coconut milk, arrowroot starch, and lime juice together so you only have to clean one bowl.
- Go wild with toppings and add them all! The toppings add a great burst of flavor for paleo white chicken chili. You can also add a dollop of sour cream or a little shredded cheese if you’re OK with dairy.
Can I Freeze This Paleo White Chicken Chili?
Yes! One of my favorite things about this crockpot white chicken chili recipe is that it freezes well and is great meal prep recipe. To freeze, simple transfer the chili in freezer-safe jars or containers (I love these large glass canning jars). Let the chili completely cool before storing it in the freezer.
Important note: Do not completely fill the jars to the top. Liquid expands when it freezes, so leave an extra 1-2 inches at the top.
To thaw, transfer the jar(s) of chili to the fridge and let it thaw for at least 24 hours. You can reheat it over the stovetop in a medium saucepan or in the microwave.
Recommended Equipment + Pantry Items
This is the slow cooker I’ve had for years and highly recommend. It works great, holds a lot of food, and won’t break the bank! It’s a great investment. For more info about what I personally have tried and tested in the kitchen, plus recommendations when it comes to pantry items, check out my baking and cooking resources page.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Thai Chicken Coconut Curry
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 15-Minute Egg Roll in A Bowl
- Sheet Pan Chicken, Broccoli, and Sweet Potatoes with Garlic Herb Aioli
- Chicken Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- 1 ½–2 pounds chicken breasts or skinless, boneless thighs
- 2 cups diced potatoes (small yellow or peeled white sweet potato)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can mild diced green chiles
- ½ small jalapeño, minced (use the entire pepper for a kick)
- 3 cups bone broth
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Thinly sliced jalapeño
- Sliced avocado
- Siete tortilla chips
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the coconut milk, arrowroot starch, and lime juice.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Carefully remove the chicken with tongs and shred it with two forks. You can also put the chicken in a stand mixer and mix it on high with the beater attachment. The chicken will shred in about 10 seconds. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, arrowroot starch, and lime juice. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on high for 25 minutes, or until the chili has thickened.
- Serve warm with desired toppings. Go wild with toppings—they add extra flavor!
What did you think about this crockpot paleo white chicken chili recipe? Come pack and let me know in the comments below!