This is the first of many installments of sheet pan dinners, because oh my gosh are they easy and delicious!
Sheet pan dinner recipes are quite possibly the fastest and most efficient way to feed your family a meal at home and have some leftovers to spare. You can pack a sheet pan full of cut up vegetables, potatoes, and protein, and BAM—you have a pan full of delicious food with the perfect amount of color and flavor.
This sheet pan chicken and vegetable recipe is unique because it’s the perfect variety of color, texture, and flavor. The crisp, crunchiness of broccoli paired with the tenderness of pepper and sweet potato is a match made in heaven. And chicken thighs are my favorite for chicken sheet pan dinners because they remain moist and flavorful and won’t dry out in the oven.
The best part about this chicken, broccoli, and sweet potato sheet pan dinner? The only prep work is chopping up the vegetables. You can cut up the onion, pepper, and broccoli ahead of time, and then cut up the sweet potatoes just before placing it all on the sheet pan. Anything that gets dinner on the table as quickly as possible in the evening is a win!
I highly recommend investing in 1-2 stainless steel rimmed baking sheets (photographed are my 20 x 14 stainless steel pans I ordered on Amazon). They are the perfect size for sheet pan dinners recipes, and you can roast everything without having to add parchment paper.
And this sheet pan chicken and vegetable recipe contains a little bonus for you—Garlic Herb Aioli! This aioli will knock your socks off. It takes this dish from really good to “holy crap this is amazing!” To make the aioli, you simple blend the ingredients together while everything is roasting in the oven. Everyone will love it—including the kids! It’s the perfect topping that compliments both the chicken thighs and the variety of vegetables.
What I Love About This Sheep Pan Chicken and Vegetable Recipe
- This is a super flavorful dish packed with colorful vegetables!
- This sheet pan recipe contains basic prep work that you can do ahead of time.
- This dish is Whole30, paleo, grain-free, and dairy-free!
- This Whole30 sheet pan chicken dinner cooks up in just 30 minutes.
- You can easily make swaps and substitutions if you don’t have all the vegetables on hand.
Tips and Tricks for My Sheet Pan Chicken and Vegetable Recipe
- If you don’t have all the vegetables on hand, simply double the peppers, or add more potatoes to fill in the gaps.
- Other potatoes work great in this sheet pan chicken dinner recipe! Just make sure to cut up whatever potatoes you use into one-inch chunks.
- To make this easy to assemble, cut up the onion and pepper ahead of time. You can also purchase broccoli florets already washed. I purchase 12 oz bags of broccoli florets from my local grocery store.
- It’a perfectly OK if the pan is a little stuffed. Check for doneness by using a fork to pierce the sweet potato pieces along the edge of the pan.
- If you have an immersion blender, assemble all of the ingredients for the aioli in a mason jar, then blend. If there’s any leftover, you can store it in the same mason jar in the refrigerator.
Sheet pan chicken, broccoli and sweet potatoes roasted to perfection and topped with a garlic herb aioli. Simple, delicious, and it all cooks up on one pan in only 30 minutes!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb), unpeeled roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow), chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 12 oz broccoli florets
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Garlic Herb Aioli:
- ⅓ cup mayo (made with avocado oil)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Roasted garlic cloves (from above)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes, onion, pepper, broccoli, and garlic cloves in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Place the chicken thighs on the pan, nestling them into the vegetables so each chicken thigh touches the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the avocado oil over the chicken and vegetables in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, thyme, and parsley, and black pepper. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over everything in the pan. Toss gently to combine.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- While the chicken and vegetables are roasting, combine all of the ingredients for the garlic herb aioli in a blender.
- When the chicken and vegetables are done, remove the pan from the oven. Using tongs, remove the whole garlic cloves from the pan and add them to the blender. Blend until everything is broken down and evenly combined, about 30 seconds.
- Drizzle the garlic herb aioli over the sheet pan. Serve immediately.
For the garlic aioli, you can use a magic bullet mixer or an immersion blender to make it super easy. It only needs to be processed together for 30-60 seconds.
Did you make my sheet pan chicken, roasted broccoli, and sweet potatoes recipe? Help others by sharing your experience and tips below!