This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
This super easy healthy chicken broccoli casserole is creamy, delicious, and made with a special homemade cream of mushroom soup. It’s packed with nourishing ingredients, and is loved by the entire family! Make it with rice or cauliflower rice for a dish that’s paleo, low carb, and Whole30!
This healthy chicken broccoli casserole is the ultimate comfort food. It’s warm, deliciously hearty and creamy, and packed with nourishing ingredients. While holidays are typically the time where casseroles shine, I am a big fan of eating them year round, mostly because the are easy to make, produce a ton of food, and the leftovers are so good.
If you have nostalgic memories of eating creamy chicken broccoli casserole as a kid, this recipe is going to bring back all the feels, just like my Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Let’s face it—easy weeknight dinners are hard to come by. Because of this, I intentionally kept the prep work with this healthy chicken broccoli casserole to a minimum. You’ll simply cook up the chicken pieces and broccoli florets in one pan, and make the creamy mushroom soup in the other. Combine everything together in your casserole dish, add your rice or bag of frozen cauliflower rice, and you’re done! If you want to up the veggie count, use cauliflower rice to make it paleo chicken broccoli casserole!
Because this healthy chicken broccoli cauliflower rice casserole is made with nourishing, whole ingredients and makes a TON of food, it’s great for meal prep! If you use the cauliflower rice, this chicken broccoli casserole is Whole30, low carb, and paleo! This one fits a variety of dietary needs, so go for it! And I’m not kidding—your entire family will LOVE this. Even the picky toddlers will be asking for more (I speak from experience on this one!).
The Secret’s in the Sauce
This healthy chicken broccoli casserole includes a nourishing cream sauce. The cream sauce is basically my homemade cream of mushroom soup that’s made with mushrooms, onions, bone broth, and coconut milk. The ingredients are simple, easy, and nutrient-dense.
To me, it’s what sets this paleo chicken broccoli casserole recipe apart from the rest. It tastes great with rice or cauliflower rice. It brings all the components of the casserole together, and gives it a warm and hearty flavor.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
I love how quickly this healthy chicken broccoli casserole comes together! First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and generously grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with coconut oil (seriously generous—this has a habit of sticking to the sides!).
To make this dish, you need a large skillet and medium saucepan. Start by heating the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add broccoli florets and stir. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink and the broccoli is tender, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
For the cream sauce, heat the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 1-2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add the arrowroot flour and minced garlic, and mix everything together well.
Slowly add in the coconut milk and bone broth to the saucepan, whisking everything together as you stir to make sure there are no clumps. Stir in the nutritional yeast. You’ll let the sauce come to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer and let the sauce cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the thyme, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat.
Now comes the assembly! Combine the cooked chicken, broccoli, rice, and sauce mixture in the casserole dish. Fold everything together so it’s mixed well.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the sides are bubbly. Let it set for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
Making Paleo Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Want to make this a paleo chicken broccoli casserole recipe? Use cauliflower rice! Frozen cauliflower rice is available at most grocery stores now, which is awesome because it makes things so much easier. It typically comes in a 12 oz bag, which is about 2.5 – 3 cups of riced cauliflower.
If you can’t find frozen or fresh cauliflower rice, you can make it on your own with a small head of cauliflower. Simply remove the stems and break the cauliflower head into smaller, bite-sized florets. Then, working in 2-3 batches, pulse the cauliflower in a large food processor until it’s broken down into small pieces resembling grains of rice.
To save time, you can do this a day before or in the morning, and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
Meal Prep and Storage for Chicken Broccoli Casserole
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Because this dish makes a ton of food, it’s also great for meal prep! You can double the recipe and cook it in a 9 x 13 lasagna dish. Then, store individual or large portions in sealable silicone storage bags and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat your chicken broccoli casserole, let it thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
Cooking Tips and Tricks
- Chicken breast and thighs work in this recipe. Make sure to cut them into small, 1-inch bite size pieces.
- Don’t worry if the amount of chicken you have exceeds 1 lb. This dish is great with anything between 1-2 lbs of chicken.
- You can leave out the nutritional yeast if you don’t have any on hand. It gives the dish a nice cheesy flavor, but it’s still good without it.
- You can swap out the fresh garlic for 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- If you’re making paleo chicken broccoli casserole and forgot to lay out the bag of frozen cauliflower (it happens to the best of us), just add everything to the casserole dish, and place the frozen cauliflower rice in the pan you cooked the broccoli and chicken in. Place the pan over medium heat and stir until it thaws, about 1-2 minutes.
- You can use a variety of casserole dishes for this—square, round, and rectangle. It will work in most medium casserole pans!
Why I Love This Healthy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- I love that this healthy chicken broccoli casserole cooks up in 20 minutes!
- This recipe contains simple, nourishing ingredients. It’s packed with veggies and protein!
- While this dish is unique and flavorful, the prep work is kept to a minimum. The homemade creamy mushroom soup is easy and makes the dish incredibly creamy and hearty.
- This dish is the perfect cozy weeknight dinner. It gives you a ton of food, and the entire family will love it!
- The recipe can be made a low carb and paleo chicken broccoli casserole with cauliflower rice.
Recommended Equipment + Pantry Items
These are my favorite baking dishes for this recipe. You can also double the recipe an and cook it in this 9 x 13 lasagna dish! It’s a great investment. For more info about what I personally have tried and tested in the kitchen, plus recommendations when it comes to pantry items, check out my baking and cooking resources page.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
- Creamy Crockpot White Chicken Chili (Dairy-Free, Paleo, Whole30)
- Egg Roll in A Bowl (Healthy, Low Carb, Paleo)
- Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup (Paleo, Whole30, Vegan)
- Crispy Pork Carnitas
Did you love this healthy chicken broccoli casserole recipe? Let me know in the comments below!