This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
This instant pot chicken enchilada soup recipe is the perfect warm and comforting weeknight dish. It’s full of healthy and fresh ingredients, and has all the delicious flavors of chicken enchiladas wrapped up in a bowl of soup. This is one the whole family will love. And best of all, it cooks up in the Instant Pot in only 15 minutes!
If food could give you a hug, this Instant Pot chicken enchilada soup would wrap you up in a warm embrace. It’s one of those dishes that everyone loves because it’s flavorful, savory, and has the perfect amount of spice. If you’ve ever had Chili’s chicken enchilada soup and want a healthy homemade alternative, this is where it’s at!
This Instant Pot soup recipe is a breeze to make because you literally just throw everything into the Instant Pot and cook! It’s at the top of my list when it comes to my “emergency” dishes. You know, those dishes that you can make when all of the sudden it’s 5 o’clock and you completely forgot to prep anything for dinner? Yeah, happens quite a bit around here.
Perhaps my favorite part of all, this dish is great for meal prep because it’s freezer-friendly! As a family, we live off of meal prep, especially on busy days when everything is going crazy (I know you’ve been there). When I cook, I always want to make enough food for at least two dinners. This Instant Pot chicken enchilada soup recipes will give you soup and some so you have plenty of leftovers to throw in the fridge or freezer.
Because the ingredients are simple, fresh, and nutrient-dense, this recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free, and it’s paleo and Whole30 too! Let’s eat!
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup in the Instant Pot
Making chicken enchilada soup in the instant pot couldn’t be easier! To start, select the Sauté function on your Instant Pot. Once it’s warm, add the onion, pepper, jalapeño, and garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. If you’re using garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, add it in with the rest of the spices.
On your Instant Pot, hit Cancel. Then, add in the chicken, bone broth, diced tomatoes, red enchilada sauce, green chilis, cumin, oregano, and salt. Yes, you add the chicken in whole! No prep work is required.
Secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Make sure the valve is flipped to Sealing position. The Instant Pot will take a second to increase in pressure, and just before it starts cooking, you’ll hear the valve seal.
Once it’s finished cooking, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for five minutes, then manually release the pressure.
Carefully remove the chicken with tongs and place it in a bowl. Add in the coconut milk and lime juice and stir.
Shred the chicken with two forks. You can also put the chicken in a stand mixer and mix it on high with the beater attachment. The chicken with shred in about 10 seconds. Add the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot and stir. Serve warm with your desired toppings!
It’s All About the Toppings!
One of my favorite things about this healthy Instant Pot chicken enchilada soup is OF COURSE the toppings! You can go simple, or load them up to add some flavor and fun. Some of my favorites are:
- Siete Grain Free Tortilla Chips
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped green onion (one of my favorites because it adds crunchy texture)
- A dollop of yogurt or shredded cheese (we shred our own grass-fed cheese for this)
Why I Love This Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- I love that this instant pot soup recipe has only a few steps, and cooking is hands off!
- This recipe contains simple, nourishing ingredients.
- While this dish is unique and flavorful, the prep work is kept to a minimum. You add the chicken in whole, and shred it after it’s cooked.
- This dish is the perfect cozy weeknight dinner. It gives you a ton of food, and the entire family will love it!
- The recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, Whole30, and paleo.
Can I Freeze This Soup?
Yes! One of my favorite things about this Instant Pot soup recipe is that it freezes well. For this reason, it’s a great meal prep recipe. To freeze, simple transfer the soup in freezer-safe jars or containers (I love these large glass canning jars). Let the soup completely cool before storing it in the freezer.
Important note: Do not completely fill the jars to the top. Liquid expands when it freezes, so leave an extra 1-2 inches at the top.
To thaw, transfer the jar(s) of soup to the fridge and let it thaw for at least 24 hours. You can reheat it over the stovetop in a medium saucepan or in the microwave.
Does This Instant Pot Soup Recipe Work in the Slow Cooker?
Yes! This chicken enchilada soup recipe will work in the slow cooker, too! To make slow cooker chicken enchilada soup:
Heat the avocado oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are just soft. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients (minus the coconut milk and lime juice) to the slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours.
Once the soup has cooked, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the chicken as instructed. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, and shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and stir. Serve warm with toppings of choice!
Tips and Tricks
- Both chicken breast and thighs work in this recipe. I prefer chicken thighs as the texture is a little more moist.
- Got extra chicken? This dish is great with anything between 1.5 – 2 pounds of chicken.
- If you like a good kick, use 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce in the soup.
- Make it easier by swapping out the fresh garlic for 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- To shred the chicken, throw the whole chicken breast/thighs into a stand mixer and mix it on high with the beater attachment. The chicken with shred in about 10 seconds. Don’t over-mix it, or it will shred into really small pieces.
- Go wild with toppings and add them all! The toppings add a great burst of flavor. You can also add a dollop of yogurt or a little shredded cheese if you’re OK with dairy.
Recommended Equipment + Pantry Items
This is the Instant Pot I’ve been recommending for years. It works great, has a ton of features, and won’t break the bank! It’s a great investment. For more info about what I personally have tried and tested in the kitchen, plus recommendations when it comes to pantry items, check out my baking and cooking resources page.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Thai Chicken Coconut Curry
- Creamy Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- 15-Minute Egg Roll in A Bowl
- Sheet Pan Chicken, Broccoli, and Sweet Potatoes with Garlic Herb Aioli
- Chicken Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole
What did you think about this Instant Pot chicken enchilada soup recipe? I would LOVE to hear from you! Please come back and let me know below.