This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
My mom is the homemade ice cream cake champ. Growing up, she would make her signature homemade ice cream cake for my dad, sister and I for our birthdays, and always let us choose the ice cream flavor. Sometimes she would mix other surprises into the ice cream, such as peanut butter cups, chocolate chunks, or my favorite—globs of peanut butter.
Her cakes were pure, divine yumminess. And I probably have a photo of me cheesing big time in front of a homemade ice cream cake for every birthday I had until I graduated college. So, yes—I kind of miss them. That is, until now.
Eventually, it hit me that all of the components of my mom’s homemade ice cream cake can easily be made with more nourishing ingredients. The basics are: A paleo brownie base layer, a coconut milk ice cream middle layer, and a whipped cream topping, which can easily be swapped for whipped coconut cream.
In short, I’m super happy to have my homemade ice cream cake back in my life—and to share it with all of you. It’s completely paleo, too, which means it’s dairy-free and grain-free!
When making this paleo ice cream cake, you have the option to use your ice cream flavor of choice. There are quite a few coconut milk ice cream flavor options now at speciality grocery stores, and almond ice “creme” is also making its way onto shelves.
With this recipe, you’ll need to make the brownie layer the night before, and put it in the freezer overnight. You’ll also want to place the cans of coconut milk in the fridge so the coconut water separates to the top. The next day, you’ll be able to make the whipped coconut cream topping and assemble the entire cake. It will need about 2-3 hours in the freezer after assembly to solidify.
Now, to use one of my dad’s favorite birthday quotes… Let them eat cake!
What I Love About This Paleo Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- This recipe makes creamy ice cream cake that’s customizable and completely homemade!
- While this cake has a lot of moving parts, it’s actually very simple to assemble.
- You get to choose your ice cream flavor—vanilla, chocolate, or mint chocolate chip all work great in this recipe!
- The ingredients are very simple, nourishing, and yummy.
- This recipe is completely paleo, dairy-free, and grain-free!
Tips and Tricks For My Paleo Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- If you have another paleo brownie recipe you love—you can use that too! We’ve also done a chocolate chip cookie bottom, and it is SO GOOD!
- Make the brownies the day before, and then place the pan in the freezer. The next day you’ll just make the whipped topping, and assemble!
- You can use a 9-inch springform pan to make a free-standing cake or a regular 9 x 13 cake pan! Both work great with this recipe.
- This paleo ice cream cake recipe makes 12 large pieces of cake.
- Make sure the lay the cake out for 10-15 minutes before eating. This will help the whipped coconut cream to soften for cutting.
- If using sprinkles as a garnish, place them on top of the whipped topping just before the final freezing. You can also drizzle the cake with melted dark chocolate. This works great with chocolate or mint chocolate chip ice cream!
What do you think about this paleo homemade ice cream cake? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!