This savory asparagus and spinach sauté is one of my favorite side dishes to make because it’s quick and easy, and pairs well with any meal.
It’s also incredibly delicious thanks to a secret ingredient that many culinary experts swear by. (Suspense building…)
I created this asparagus and spinach sauté after picking up some fresh greens, asparagus, and mushrooms at my local farmer’s market. I typically enjoy spinach raw as part of my famous “Tarr” salad, and asparagus roasted or steamed, but when cooked together, it’s a whole different level of awesomeness. Also, this side dish provides a one-two punch of vitamin k, folate, and other essential vitamins and minerals, which is an added bonus.
The key ingredient to this side dish—besides the tasty mix of herbs and spices—is the Red Boat fish sauce. I know fish sauce sounds a little scary, but it’s actually a great way to supply a dish with a burst of rich flavor when short on time.
When finishing up the recipe, be sure to use enough white balsamic vinegar to slightly deglaze the pan to bring all the ingredients together. You can also use dark balsamic vinegar if that’s what you have in the pantry.
A quick and simple savory asparagus and spinach side dish that’s the perfect compliment to any meal.
- 1 large bunch asparagus (rinsed, ends cut off, and chopped into 1″ pieces)
- 10 oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tsp Red Boat fish sauce
- 1 tsp white balsamic
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (or one glove of fresh garlic)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat until melted.
- Add asparagus to pan and a pinch of salt and pepper, and let cook for two minutes before adding in mushrooms.
- Combine spices in a separate bowl and sprinkle half onto the asparagus and mushrooms. Let mixture cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Add spinach and cover the skillet for 2-4 minutes. Once spinach is wilted, sprinkle other half of spices overtop the mixture and stir.
- To finish the dish, pour the Red Boat fish sauce and balsamic overtop and stir. Immediately remove from heat.