This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
This is the best healthy turkey burgers recipe! Say goodbye to dry, crumbly, and bland turkey burgers. These grilled turkey burgers are so juicy and moist, and they have a punch of cilantro lime flavor! Made with simple ingredients, these easy turkey burgers take just 10 minutes to prep. Because this recipe for healthy turkey burgers contains whole ingredients, they’re paleo turkey burgers, too! Let’s eat!
*This is a special highlight of one of my favorite dinner recipes in my book, Coconuts and Kettlebells.
Yes, it is possible for heathy turkey burgers to be full of flavor and downright delicious. And that’s exactly what you get with my healthy turkey burgers recipe. Buh-bye bland, dry, crumbly turkey burgers! Hello insanely tasty grilled turkey burgers that are perfectly golden on the outside and moist and juicy in the center.
If you’re a fan of grilled turkey burgers, you’re not alone! We love grilling around here. Burgers, fish, vegetables, chicken, corn. You name it, we grill it! One of things I wanted to nail was a recipe for fresh and healthy turkey burgers. I wanted easy turkey burgers that were juicy, flavorful, and fresh. These are just that, and they work great on the grill or cooked up in a skillet.
Creating The Best Turkey Burger Recipe
While there are plenty of turkey burger recipes out there, I wanted to create a go-to recipe that was simple, straightforward, and contained all the flavors of summer. And that’s exactly what this is. No frills or special unique ingredients. A little fresh cilantro, a little lime, and a great little hit of staple spices.
These are easily the best turkey burgers I’ve ever had. The best part about this recipe for healthy turkey burgers is that it is so easy! You’ll have the burgers prepped and ready to be cooked in less than 10 minutes. Because the ingredients are simple and fresh, these paleo turkey burgers are Whole30 and low carb, too!
If you’re in need of healthy recipes for the whole family—these turkey burgers are also kid-friendly! My kids love being able to customize the toppings. You can serve healthy turkey burgers with guacamole, avocado oil mayo, or a fried egg on top. For paleo turkey burgers, serve wrapped in lettuce! So good!
The Secret to Juicy Turkey Burgers
The secret to the best healthy grilled turkey burgers is one of life’s greatest flavor combinations: fresh lime juice and cilantro. The lime juice helps the turkey burgers maintain moisture while also adding a punch of flavor. The fresh cilantro, along with the spice combination of garlic, cumin, and chili, give these grilled turkey burgers a nice kick and balance out the lime. Definitely expect for everyone to be coming back for more.
My other secret? If you want insanely moist burgers, you must season the burgers liberally on the outside. Do not add salt to the meat before making patties. Wait and salt the burgers on both sides just before you place them on the grill. This locks in the moisture and keeps the turkey burgers juicy on the inside.
How to Grill Healthy Turkey Burgers
Feeling a little intimidated by grilling turkey burgers? Don’t be! With good ingredients (check!), you’re already off to a great start. When grilling, there’s a little secret trick I find makes a big difference: oiling the grates sufficiently just before cooking the burgers!
To make healthy turkey burgers, in a large bowl, mix the ground turkey, onion, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and pepper until just combine. Don’t overwork the meat as it can led to tough burgers.
Form the mixture into 4 equal-size patties about 1-inch thick. The turkey burgers will be slightly wet and hard to form. Don’t worry, this is totally normal. Place the turkey burgers in the fridge until you’re ready to grill. They’ll firm up and be easier to handle.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, about 450 degrees F. Now, here’s the secret. Spray or brush avocado oil generously on a folded paper towel. Then, using grilling tongs, run the oiled paper towel evenly along the bars to oil the grates. This is the secret to the turkey burgers not sticking! Generously oiling the grates just before cooking will allow the turkey burgers to stay together, and you’ll get those gorgeous grill marks!
Season the turkey burgers with the salt on both sides just before placing them on the grill. Seasoning the outsides of the burgers is yet another trick that will help the burgers stay moist and juicy. Place the patties on the grill and cook for 5 minutes with the grill closed until grill marks form. Flip the burgers with a thin-bladed spatula and grill for another 4-5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
Serve healthy burgers warm, wrapped in crispy lettuce leaves and dressed with your favorite toppings.
Can I Cook These Turkey Burgers in the Skillet?
Yes! To cook these turkey burgers on the stove, melt a tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the patties to the skillet and cook the turkey burgers until golden on one side, about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook until the center is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 5 minutes.
Recipe Tips + Tricks
- You can easily substitute the ground turkey for ground chicken.
- If you don’t have a grater, just finely chop the onions.
- This recipe for healthy turkey burgers cook up beautifully in a pan or on the grill. When cooking in a skillet, you may need to slightly adjust cooking time, about 5 to 6 minutes each side.
- After preheating the grill, spray a folded paper towel with avocado oil and oil the grates with the oiled paper towel using grilling tongs. This is a must so the patties don’t stick.
- Make sure to only salt the outside of the patties. This will help the grilled turkey burgers retain moisture and remain juicy when cooking.
- If you’re serving more than two people, I recommend doubling the recipe. These store well in the fridge and make great leftovers!
What I Love About This Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe
- This healthy turkey burger recipe is so easy. Prep time is under 10 minutes!
- These easy turkey burgers are made with simple, nourishing ingredients.
- This recipe makes paleo turkey burgers that are also Whole30 and low carb!
- You can serve these grilled turkey burgers with a variety of toppings, including avocado oil mayo or guacamole!
- Juicy and healthy turkey burgers are kid-friendly! My kids always have fun choosing their own toppings.
Recommended Equipment + Pantry Items
We absolutely love this grill and have had it for years. For more info about what I personally have tried and tested in the kitchen, plus recommendations when it comes to pantry items, check out my baking and cooking resources page.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
- Egg Roll in A Bowl (Healthy, Low Carb, Paleo)
- Sheet Pan Chicken, Broccoli, and Sweet Potatoes with Garlic Herb Aioli (Whole30, Paleo)
If you make this healthy turkey burger recipe, please come back and comment below! I’d love to hear from you!