This slow cooker beef and sweet potato stew is my go-to dish when I’m short on time, and want a hearty and warm dish. I especially love using the slow cooker during the winter months, as slow cooker beef and sweet potato stew is just about the best thing to come home to on a cold, windy day.
Last year, I decided to invest in a 6-quart slow cooker, and I couldn’t be happier with all the flavorful and easy-to-prepare dishes I’ve been able make. Typically, I spend 5-10 minutes getting everything into the slow cooker in the morning, and when my husband comes home, we’re welcomed with a delicious aroma and a warm meal that’s ready to eat.
This slower cooker beef and sweet potato stew is probably one of my favorite dishes to make in the slow cooker because of the large return I get for such little investment. Not only does the combination of the beef stew and sweet potato have a wonderful warming effect, it also produces leftovers for a second dinner. I store the leftover stew in a 1.5 liter glass container, and pack it away in the freezer for a night we’re both short on time.
Of course, if you’re not a fan of a more spicy flavor, you can leave out the cayenne pepper and add just a bit more black pepper or garlic. Depending on what food you have on hand, you can also swap out certain ingredients like the type of potatoes you choose to use. With the slow cooker, anything goes.
- 2 lbs beef stew cubes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3.5 cups broth
- After cutting the beef cubes into bite-sized pieces, brown on high in coconut oil in a large sauté pan for 2-3 minutes. (I skip the browning when I’m in a rush and it still comes out tasty.)
- Add the beef cubes and all other ingredients into the slow cooker (minus the broth), and mix well to combine.
- Pour broth on top of the mixture, and cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
I’d love do know how this slow cooker beef and sweet potato stew recipe worked for you. Got any questions? Let me know below!