Fluffy and decadent gluten free waffles with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla. Serve with my coconut cream drizzle for extra flavor!
Some mornings, you wake up and you know it’s gonna be waffles kind of day.
That day was today.
This gluten free waffles recipe is something Mr. Coconuts and I have come up with after playing around with a variety of gluten free waffle recipes throughout the years. Because gluten free waffles can sometimes come out a little drier than regular glutenous waffles, I’ve developed my own coconut cream “syrup” that makes them moist and savory. You can use it as a dip or drizzle it on top of your waffle before gobbling them up.
To customize these to you, I encourage you to make your waffles to your taste. If you need more sweetness, add a bit more honey to the batter. If you love the aroma of cinnamon, add another 1/4 teaspoon. This recipe is also great with 1/4 cup blueberries or raspberries folded in, or dark chocolate chips mixed in or sprinkled on top.
Note: To make these gluten free waffles, you cannot switch out the almond flour 1:1 for some other flours, like coconut flour. While we have experimented with cashew meal and almond meal with success, do a bit of research on the flour you want to use before substituting it into the recipe.
Also, the waffle maker we use is the Presto Flipside Belgian Waffle Maker. It’s so easy to use and clean.
Gluten Free Waffles
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 2/3 tsp baking soda
- 5 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Coconut Cream Drizzle:
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until blended evenly.
- Add the eggs, honey, vanilla extract and water and mix together until smooth.
- Butter-up your waffle iron (if required) with a little bit of coconut oil. Pour the mixture into the waffle iron until it barely fills the bottom of the waffle iron. Spread batter around evenly if necessary.
- Cook about 2.5 minutes, or according to your waffle iron instructions.
- For the coconut cream drizzle, heat up the honey and coconut cream on the stove on low for a few minutes while continuously stirring. Once the mixture is vicious, remove from heat and pour into a glass bowl. If using the microwave, heat up the mixture in a glass bowl for 30 seconds, and continue to heat up in 10 second intervals until warm. Add the cinnamon and let mixture sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the waffles warm with the coconut cream drizzle.