This paleo chocolate cake is supremely moist, decadent, and chocolatey. It has the perfect light and fluffy texture, and is finished with a homemade whipped chocolate frosting that is out of this world. This recipe is simple, foolproof, and ideal for birthdays or special occasions.
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups coconut sugar
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk, room temperature
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups palm shortening
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ –⅔ cup dairy-free milk, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease three 8-inch cake pans with coconut oil and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Whisk the almond flour, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and coconut sugar. Add the coconut milk, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and water, and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined.
- Evenly distribute the batter among the three cake pans. Spread the batter so it sits evenly in each pan.
- Place the three cake pans on the same rack in the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, mix the frosting together. Place the palm shortening in a large mixing bowl, and whip on high for 2-3 minutes until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla extract and continue to whip.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder to the bowl and continue to whip. Once combined, add ½ cup dairy-free milk. Continue adding a little more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the frosting is light and fluffy. Whip for 2-3 minutes until no clumps remain.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, assemble the cake by adding the chocolate frosting between each layer, then frost the outside. Decorate with sprinkles, chopped chocolate, or additional piping if desired.
- Make sure all of your ingredients for the cake are room temperature.
- This recipe makes plenty of frosting so that you have enough for thick layers in between each layer of cake.
- You can also make this recipe in two 9-inch cake pan. Baking time will be slightly longer, so watch for doneness at 30-35 minutes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
Keywords: paleo chocolate cake, paleo birthday cake, paleo cake, gluten-free chocolate cake, chocolate cake