These healthy lemon bars have a rich and buttery shortbread crust and a luscious lemon filling. They’re delicious, thick, and perfectly tangy. Even though they’re paleo and made with healthier ingredients, they taste exactly like classic lemon bars. A gorgeous addition to spring and summer holidays and events!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons ghee, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- ⅔ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 4 large lemons
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- Organic Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- For the crust, in a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, and sea salt. Add the maple syrup, ghee, and vanilla to the bowl, and fold everything together until a dough forms. Press the crust into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, make the filling. Add the eggs, lemon juice, maple syrup, and lemon zest to a large bowl and whisk well by hand. Don’t use a mixer for this, as whisking by hand is the best way to fully incorporate the eggs. Whisk quickly until you don’t see any egg white remaining. Add the tapioca flour and whisk until there are no clumps.
- Once the crust has finished baking, remove it from the oven. Immediately add the filling. Do not allow the crust to cool.
- Lower the temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and return the bars to the oven to bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the filling is set. A little jiggle in the center is just right!
- Allow the bars to cool completely, then transfer the pan to the refrigerator for 3-4 hours to let the bars set. Before serving, cut into twelve squares and sprinkle the bars with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy lemon bars, paleo lemon bars, gluten free lemon bars, lemon bars, healthy lemon bar recipe, paleo lemon bar recipe