This broccoli cheese soup is creamy, cheesy, and hearty. It’s made with simple, nourishing ingredients, and is incredibly easy to make. You’ll have no idea it’s completely dairy-free, vegan, and paleo!
- ½ cup raw whole cashews
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup diced shallot
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 red potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or bone broth
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 6 ounces finely chopped broccoli florets (about 2 ½ cups)
- Paprika (optional, for garnish)
- Place the cashews in a glass bowl. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil, then pour the boiling water over the cashews. Let the cashews soak for 1 hour, then drain.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, carrots, and potatoes, and saute everything until the shallots are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are soft.
- Transfer everything from the pot to a high speed blender. Add the drained cashews, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend on high until smooth (at least 1 minute).
- Return the soup to the pot. Stir in the broccoli florets, cover and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Serve warm garnished with a little paprika.
If you don’t have a high speed blender, you can also blend the soup directly in the pot using an immersion blender. Just make sure to remove the soup pot from the burner before blending, and follow all of the appropriate instructions to avoid splattering the soup.