If you’re a fan of chocolate chip cookies, get ready to experience the best of the best. I’ve tried these paleo chocolate chip cookies on all of my friends (those who are gluten-free and gluten-filled), and they’re always a fan favorite.
No weird gritty texture. No dryness. No browning or crunchiness on the bottom. No soggy center. Just pure, soft and chewy chocolatey goodness.
They’re also incredibly easy to make, which is good because they tend to go fast.
So, what’s the secret to making the best paleo chewy chocolate chip cookies? The combination of flours in the recipe, and how you process them. While we tested many flours to come up with this recipe, almond flour, coconut flour, and tapioca flour were a match made in heaven.
As for processing, we found mixing the ingredients for these paleo chewy chocolate chip cookies in a food processor helps to break down the blanched almond flour, and evenly combine the dry ingredients.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can process the flours and mix the dry ingredients using the whisk attachment in a stand mixer. If using a stand mixer, mix the almond flour for 2-3 minutes. After mixing the dry ingredients, switch the attachment to the flat beater to mix in the wet ingredients.
Of course, you can also mix the flours together by hand. The texture of the cookies will be a tad more coarse, but still a really fantastic paleo chocolate chip cookie none the less.
If you are short on ingredients, you can use arrowroot flour instead of tapioca flour. You can also swap out the ghee for coconut oil. We tested both of these swaps in our recipe development, and they turned out great, however, the recipe below is the best combination.
Why I Love This Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- While this cookie recipe is paleo and gluten free, these cookies will be loved by all!
- This paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe makes soft and chewy cookies with a buttery taste. SO YUM!
- The ingredients in this recipe are simple and easy to find.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make a large batch of cookies.
- This chewy paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe is allergy-friendly and perfect for holiday gatherings, tailgates, and birthday parties!
Tips and Tricks for My Chewy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- If you don’t have a food processor, no problem! Just whisk the flours with a stand mixer or handheld whisk.
- Not into ghee? Swap it out for coconut oil.
- You can use arrowroot flour instead of tapioca flour.
- These paleo chocolate chip cookies cook up fast! Make sure to watch them at the 10 minute mark for any golden brown color on top.
- Making this paleo cookie recipe for kiddos or a special holiday? Add sprinkles or soy-free naturally-colored chocolate candies on top just before placing them in the oven.
These paleo chocolate chip cookies are soft, chewy, and have a rich, buttery taste. They’re also incredibly easy to make, which is good because they tend to go fast.
- 1 ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup ghee, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the almond flour to a large food processor and process for 1 minute (or mix using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer).
- Add the remaining dry ingredients (tapioca starch, coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, and sugar) and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the chocolate chips) and mix again until a uniform dough forms. The dough should be fairly thick and come together to form a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into about twelve 2-inch balls and place them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Flatten each cookie ever so slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Place the baking sheet in the middle of the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Be careful not to over-bake them unless you like your cookies more done! Remove the cookies from the pan and place them on a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
After you test this paleo chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe, make sure to come back here and tell me how you liked them!